Skip to main content

What Do You Know For Sure?



It’s the beginning of a new year and we will all be walking down the path of a new decade together. People may one day say: “Do you remember the ‘20s? The music was awesome! Let’s put on a ‘20s movie!” Someone will have a ‘20s dress up day at school.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I’ve been thinking about one thing as I look ahead to the ‘20s. It has been at the forefront of my mind in the form of a question which I will present to my own family for reflection and I’ll pose it to you here as well:

What do you know for sure?

Perhaps it would be better stated as, “What do you believe without compromise?” or “What are you willing to never, ever, ever bend on?”

It feels to me like we are in the middle of an epic slide when it comes to the positioning of Christians on a variety of issues. It’s one thing for someone to say: “I’m not a Christian and I don’t really care what you all think or what the Bible says about this or that”. It’s another thing entirely when people call themselves Christians and at the same time want to change what a Christian believes, does, and therefore is.

I’m an Edmonton Oilers fan. I know. 

Anyway, imagine if I said that, by definition, Oiler fans don’t actually need to watch our team’s games, wear the gear, or care who plays for the Oilers (stats, etc). That definition of an Oiler fan is outdated and old fashioned! Today’s definition is something different altogether! You would soon begin to think that I may not be an Oiler fan at all.

So, what defines a Christian? Perhaps better, what defines a follower of Jesus?

If you claim Christ as your leader and you are His disciple, you will need to know this answer because we are all entering a decade where even what will be taught at some churches will become increasingly inconsistent with what the Bible actually says (2 Timothy 4:1-4).

Don’t get me wrong, the Church of Jesus will absolutely exist! It will be populated by humble, gracious, Holy Spirit filled, and Biblically sound people. These Jesus-lovers will carry out their lives within a lifestyle of contagious worship every day while boldly sharing the Good News of the forgiveness and hope found in the living God through His son Jesus. Over time, however, these folks may or may not be found in the buildings being led by organizational religion that has lost the fragrance of Christ’s love and humility and the Truth of the Bible.

So Jesus follower, What do you know for sure as supported by the Bible? What do you believe without compromise? What are you willing to never, ever, ever bend on? And as a result, how will you live your life in this coming year and in this new decade?

There is a call on your life, my friend. Renew your commitment to live a life free of compromise today in service of our King! May God bless, protect, and guide each of us as we keep our eyes locked on Him!

Vijay

Comments