Skip to main content

Tithing in tough times


Growing up in a pastor’s home, I was taught that whatever income God puts in my hand, I should give 1/10th back to His church. I’ve learned to see the church as Jesus’ church alone. He said: “...on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it” (Matthew 16:18). I’m not part of a church of about 1500 people, I’m actually part of a church of millions scattered around the world! When I give my tithe to my home church, I’m bringing it to Jesus’ global mission.

My parents moved our family of six from India to Canada in 1977 and entered this country with very little money to their names. Those first years were financially challenging for the Manuel family. Even in those difficult years when we didn’t have much of anything, we were taught the importance of giving 10% of our income to our home church whatever that amount may be, something consistently modelled by my mom and dad.

I hadn’t always honoured this principle as well as I should have but something changed in my heart when I was serving as the Executive Pastor at one of the largest churches in Canada. The Holy Spirit gripped my heart in a way that I hadn’t experienced before and I knew deep within me that there would be a blessing in my life, in my marriage, in my home, and in my work if I would obey and give; if I would sow generously(2 Corinthians 9:6). Sarah and I give our tithe to our home church, and anything beyond that we consider our offering.

Today, much of the world is living with fear, or at the very least, with uncertainty. Many of the Canadians recently laid off include our beloved friends, relatives, neighbours, and co-workers. This is certainly the time to tighten up our budgets and reduce spending, but should this apply to the tithe we give to our home churches; to Jesus’ church?

Friends, let us be the ones to put our trust firmly in our God again and again. Let’s keep learning, growing, serving, and giving in our churches and let’s watch to see how God will bless us and our community through the work of His church during this challenging time.

Comments