As a follower of Jesus, I can't afford to let anything distract me from the following list in 2021. Can you?
As a follower of Jesus, I can't afford to let anything distract me from the following list in 2021. Can you?
1. Worship

Daily worship makes me a better leader, husband, father, and generally a better person for others to be around.
This is a choice. I can either choose to bow down and worship God in humility or not. This is best demonstrated in how I live my life out every day including my daily practices of Bible reading, prayer, and fellowship with other Believers, as opposed to what I say on camera or on a stage (Romans 12:1-2).
When is the last time you bowed down, put your hands up in humble surrender, and cried out to God in unhindered and unashamed worship?
-
2. Humility
God shows favour to the humble. God also opposes the proud (James 4:6).
Humility is a defining characteristic of the Christians who have inspired and influenced me. The idea of an arrogant follower of Christ can't really be reconciled in my mind.
This is the story of each follower of Jesus:
I was lost and doomed because of my sin. I was saved and redeemed by God's grace through the miraculous life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. None of this is due to my merit or qualifications but because of God's amazing gift to me, which I received freely.
For me to have received this gift means acknowledging that I don't have what it takes, that I never did, and that I never could. For me to receive this gift indicates my complete and humble surrender to God.
-
3. Walking in step with the Holy Spirit
In the absence of the Holy Spirit's leading in my life, I am lost like a rudderless ship in a storm being tossed around by each wave it encounters.
'Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. ' (Galatians 5:25)
-
4. Courage
Christians are defined by courage in the face of fearful situations. We have declared our trust in God through the generations!
My dad shared his Christmas message with our family over zoom this year. He reminded us that the first words that the angels spoke to the shepherds were: "Fear not!"
Consider the following lyrics within the hymn "It Is Well" written by Horatio G. Spafford pictured above:
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
I will stand. I will not cower. I will overcome fear by placing my complete trust in Jesus, who is with me!
> Behind the Song (It Is Well): Click here
-
5. Doing God's will is the real stuff; the earthly stuff is temporary
I've never really belonged here.
Although my time here is limited it carries real purpose and fulfillment when I find ways to glorify, exalt, and further the name of Jesus Christ, not the name of Vijay Manuel.
'Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. ' (1 John 2:15-17)
6. Generosity
It's a great time to consider our practices as we begin 2021. Will you consider having a look at your bank statements and calendar to assess where money and time are being invested?
Generosity will always define true followers of Christ. People who have surrendered their lives to Jesus, by definition, will be generous with their time, their resources, and with their love. Jesus said that when we help those in need around us, we are actually helping Him (Matthew 25:31-46)!
'Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord , and he will reward them for what they have done. ' (Proverbs 19:17)
-
7. Gospel Readiness
I must be ready to share the Truth of the Gospel! I must be ready to share my story!
'Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. ' (2 Timothy 4:2)
Please take some time to read this account of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot
-
8. Hard Work
The work I do ought to be done for God and to the standard of wanting to honour and please Him!
You're working with a follower of Christ? Then you have someone on your team that will do their absolute best and go above and beyond! Why? They work towards the goal of honouring God through all they do.
'Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, ' (Colossians 3:23)
--
Followers of Jesus, "let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
(Matthew 5:16)

Comments
Post a Comment