Skip to main content

Reflecting on John 15



“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
‭‭John‬ ‭15:5‬



This passage always provides me with an opportunity to refocus my life with the following question:

Am I connected to Jesus like a branch is connected to the vine?

Branches need vines to provide them with all the necessary nutrients for growth, survival, and purpose including the production of fruit. A branch will certainly die if it breaks away from the vine. Similarly, the God-honouring fruit in my life will dry up if I break away from Jesus, rendering me useless like a dried up branch (“…apart from me you can do nothing.” ~ Jesus).

How do I connect to Jesus?
• Ongoing prayer
• Consistent scripture reading and meditation
• Humble worship
• Fellowship with others about the things of God
• Serving in my church

If one of these areas is off in my life, I can usually feel it and in time, begin to experience loss and emptiness. The ones closest to me certainly can sense that something is off. The way back for me includes repentance, rest, and reflection.

Let’s stay connected to Jesus in every way; there is much fruit to bear for the glory of God!

Song
Draw Me Close by the Kantinas (my favourite version)

Comments