
š Dear Grads of 2022 š¦
[Point 1] I’m going to miss you. I started my season of leadership at MEI as the Head of Schools when you were in grade 6. We’ve walked the past 7 years together! I know some of you, have heard about many of you, and watched all of you. You have made an incredibly positive impact on our school community and represented us so well. Thank you. I’m SUPER proud of you!
[Point 2] Remember those who helped get you here and thank them. I remember Mr. Jack Smith, my grade 7 teacher and elementary school principal. We all loved Mr. Smith so much and would often visit him when we were in high school. When I won my first administration role in the school district as vice principal at Robert Bateman Secondary, Mr. Smith sent me a note. He said that he believed in me when I was in grade 7 and knew that I would do a great job in my new role. This meant SO much to me. Before you leave MEI, consider sending a note to someone who has made an impact on you. If not a note, buy them a coffee, or simply say thank you.
It’s also super important to continue to obey and honour your parents. We have all been infected with know-it-all-itis at your age. If you haven’t contracted this infection yet, it may be on its way. One of the interesting side effects is that you don’t always realize that you have it, but others can see it. It’s sometimes much later, in retrospect, that one realizes that they had it. In the coming days, weeks, months, and years, obey and honour your parents. They know some stuff. They have helped get you here and want the best for you. They may not be perfect, but God will honour you for respecting them. For sure, we parents have a responsibility before God that we too will be held to account for, but you can do your part - honour your parents.
“Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honour your father and mother” - which is the first commandment with a promise - “so that it may go will with you and that you may enjoy long life on earth”” (Ephesians 6:1-3).
[Point 3] Tell the truth always. My son, Misha, and I watch a movie called “The Kingdom of Heaven” once a year. In one part of this story, a baron is about to die and conducts a knighting ceremony for his son before transferring all his possessions into his hands. He says to Balian, “Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath” (Godfrey of Ibelin).
Always tell the truth. Don’t fudge it at all. Your character and reputation, in the long run, will depend on it. Whether it’s a small issue while working at your summer job or a bigger issue, always tell the truth and operate with honesty. As a result of this consistency, people will trust you, and in the absence of it, they won’t.
[Point 4] Never stop seeking after God. Our family loves to eat at the Keg. I’m convinced it’s because of the free bread that comes out while you’re waiting to be served your meal. The bread is warm, soft, and absolutely delicious. If the server brought out a cold, hard loaf of bread, it would be so, so, SO disappointing. Keep pursuing God in humility. Be like that warm, soft bread that is full of life and energy as opposed to the hard crusty loaf. At 18 years old, you can’t possibly know everything there is to know about God. I know with absolute certainty that at 49 years of age, one can’t possibly know everything there is to know about God. There is more! Keep learning. Keep growing. Keep trusting.
God spoke through his prophet Jeremiah to his people that were in the midst of great suffering. He gave them a mighty promise that many of us have heard quoted or seen on mugs and t-shirts. God promised that He had a plan for them filled with prosperity, hope, and a future (Jeremiah 29:11). Two verses after this, God says this: “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13). My dear friends, pursue God with all your heart in every stage of life as you move forward. You will find hope, life, and purpose! I have.
I love the song, You Are My All In All, and leave the lyrics here as a commitment that we can all make: “You are the treasure that I seek, You are my all in all”. May God bless you, dear graduates of 2022, and may He protect and guide you every step of the way.
Remember, we are here praying for you and cheering you on!
With much love and respect,
Vijay (HOS)
You Are My All In All
By Dennis Jernigan
You are my strength
When I am weak
You are the treasure
That I seek
You are my all in all
Lord to give up I'd be a fool
You are my all in all
Jesus Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name
Jesus Lamb of God
Worthy is Your name
Taking my sin
My cross my shame
Rising again I bless Your name
You are my all in all
When I fall down You pick me up
When I am dry You fill my cup
You are my all in all
Comments
Post a Comment