Skip to main content

Should we spend more time on the heart or the hair? A reflection



I write this reflection as a call to action for myself, my family, my school community, and possibly for you, my friend.

At MEI Schools, young leaders are being trained up through a variety of learning opportunities within a Christian environment. As the Head of Schools, what hopes do I have for them as they grow in their spiritual formation through chapels, classes, and events? As a father of four, what hopes do I have for my own children as they grow up within our home, our church, and our school? I pray that they come to understand that the church of Jesus Christ is made up of participants and doers engaged in a lifestyle of worship (Romans 12:1-2).

~~

I remember my first concert in the 1980s at the age of 12.

I was set to tag along with one of my older siblings and their friends to a church in the Vancouver area to see “2nd Chapter of Acts” perform live. This Christian band was comprised of three Ward siblings: Annie, Nelly, and Matthew. Although I had grown up listening to the music of 2nd Chapter of Acts, Keith Green, Michael W. Smith, Amy Grant, Michael and Stormie Omartian, and David Meece to mention only a few, I hadn’t seen anyone perform live. My excitement would have been visible on my face for days before the event. On the evening of the concert we pulled our car into the packed parking lot, entered the building, walked past the merchandise tables, and took our seats. I couldn’t have been more awestruck to be moments away from seeing the people pictured on the record covers in my bedroom, yes records, about to perform live in the same room in which I was now sitting! Wow!

And then it began. Tingles flowed down my spine as Annie, Nelly, and Matthew took the stage. Their radiant smiles, powerful lyrics, tight band, and even tighter harmonies highlighted by Matthews ever-moving tenor, filled the church sanctuary. I absolutely loved singing along with my musical heroes, joining in on all of the harmony parts of the songs. The musical menu of original songs, the authentic and inspiring devotional moments woven into the spaces between songs, and the clear Gospel message with an opportunity for each of us to respond to the call of Jesus in our lives made it the best concert I had ever been to! It’s funny that as a 12-year-old star-struck fan, I was very surprised to find out that the kids running around on the stage after the show belonged to the band; it turned out they were real people with families.

Music has always been a huge part of my life growing up in the Manuel household.

My father is an accomplished musician and songwriter who can play multiple Indian instruments, sing, and has written dozens of songs that are still being used throughout India and likely around the world. I was pleasantly surprised to find one of his songs on YouTube being performed by a group of children: Click here

God-honouring performers like 2nd Chapter of Acts and Keith Green inspired me to grow both musically and spiritually. It was clear to me that the music was written because of a sincere love for Jesus flowing out of the experiences of life; this wasn’t a formulaic musical expression that was known to be ‘working’ in reaching the masses. The reason these entertainers gained traction with people, I believe, was because they were authentic expressions of a Jesus-loving life that resonated with others; they were Spirit-led expressions that inspired others to follow Jesus. 

Listening and watching these performers, I learned the importance of preparation. Yes, musical preparation is critical if you’re a musician, but these artists seemed to be more passionate about being prepared in their hearts for ministry, than being prepared in terms of their outfits, hair, and make up. It all requires preparation, but shouldn’t more time be spent on the heart than on the hair? There wasn’t a sense that these people were aiming to build musical careers, become wealthy, or be recognized as award-winning musicians. Instead, there was a clear sense that they were in the business of spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ by any means at their disposal, and in this case, through music.

Consider these lyrics:

“I want to be in the mainstream. Don’t want to be left on the shore. I want to be in the center of the Holy Spirit’s flow” ~ Michael and Stormie Omartian

“Through the storms at night You would hold me tight, and never never never leave my side. You’re my night light.” ~ 2nd Chapter of Acts

“Make my life a prayer to You, I wanna do what You want me to, No empty words and no white lies, No token prayers, no compromise, I wanna shine the light You gave through Your Son You sent to save us, From ourselves and our despair, It comforts me to know, You're really there” ~ Keith Green

Watch 2nd Chapter of Acts with Michael and Stormie Omartian beginning at 17:56: Click here

Fast forward to 1997.

I had been trained as a musician through church musicals, elementary school music classes in the Abbotsford School District, and at MEI Secondary where I learned to play trumpet, sing, and read and write music. I picked up the guitar as a study break tool through my university days at the University College of the Fraser Valley and then Simon Fraser University where I graduated with my BA and PDP (teacher training). Through those years, I was also a youth leader at South Abbotsford Church, where my father was a pastor. I loved working with the youth and was growing as a follower of Jesus, as a leader, and as a musician.

We began hosting Gospel outreach and evangelistic music nights called “Ewe Club” and then “Zoe” and eventually something new began in the summer of 1996 called “Summer Vespers” which started with about 30 people and grew through July and August to about 120 people attending. Every night was filled with 75 minutes of singing and a 15-minute break that would either be a Gospel message, prayer time, sharing time, or devotional. This pattern remained as the event outgrew the 650-seat venue and we moved the newly named event, Doxa, to Central Heights Church for the next 2 years, hosting approximately 1500 youth and young adults each Sunday night from 8:30pm - 10:00pm. Original music was being birthed, people were getting saved, and all were encouraged to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ in their own communities the following week and to serve in their local churches. Praise God!

Some of the musical influences of the day that I would have listened to included Delirious, Brian Doerksen, Tim Hughes, and Matt Redman. Local bands were springing up including Chris Janzen Band (Long to Know), Flood (Freedom Reigns), and me and my friends, the Doxa band (Click here for free Doxa songs).

Consider these lyrics:

“Here I am to worship, here I am to bow down, here I am to say that You’re my God” ~ Tim Hughes

“I’ll bring You more than a song, for a song in itself is not what You have required. You search much deeper within through the way things appear, You’re looking into my heart. I’m coming back to the heart of worship, And it’s all about You, it’s all about You Jesus” ~ Matt Redman

“Where the Spirit of the Lord is, There is freedom… Freedom reigns in this place” ~ Mike Larson (Flood)

“Just the way I am, You have chosen me, What a love You’ve shown by erasing debts for free, I don’t understand how this could be true, But now I offer You my eternal gratitude” ~ Vijay Manuel (the Doxa band)

It was during this season of life, music, and ministry that I really began to consider the differences between being a musical performer and a leader of people, particularly in the area of leading others to worship God through song. The dichotomy could be articulated with two words: Entertainment vs Engagement.

The travelling bands with recording contracts were all wonderful performers. They hosted God-honouring events that were intended to entertain their audiences and inspire them through the messages within the songs. 

The musical offerings of these performers presented something distinctly different than what was found in the church culture in which I grew up. How so?

In my personal experience as a child growing up in the Mennonite Brethren church, singing in church was focussed on engagement; It wasn’t focused on performance or entertainment. If there was to be a performance, it would be listed as a ‘Special Number’ in the Sunday morning bulletin. This signalled to everyone that a well-rehearsed musical number would be presented to entertain and to inspire. All the other songs were considered congregational singing or something like that. We were intended to pick up the hymn book, turn to the correct page, read the music, and sing! Everyone sang. I remember a few key players of the MEI Senior Boys Basketball and Soccer teams sitting in a pew together, holding hymn books, and singing in parts: Shawn (bass), Paul (baritone), and Vijay (tenor).

The job of the person at the front of the church was to lead the singing and to engage the individuals in the congregation. You would hear things like: “Let’s stand and sing together” followed by a piano introduction, and then everyone jumping in to sing: “O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder consider all the worlds thy hands have made… Then sings my soul my Saviour God to Thee, How great thou art!”

If we wanted to be entertained, we went to a concert. When we went to church, however, we were expected to engage.

What about the teaching on Sunday mornings? I remember the preacher but not the preaching specifically. When Pastor David Epp spoke, it was received as teaching from “our beloved pastor”, the one who knew our names, hobbies, and interests; the one who would call or visit if we were needing encouragement or help; the one who greeted us as we entered the church and shook our hands as we left for the week. He wasn’t performing for us or entertaining us with what we wanted to hear, but rather, we were engaged because of who he was in our lives and his obvious love for Jesus that was on display throughout the church experience: weddings, funerals, barbecues, services, boys brigade & pioneer girls, etc. He was a part of my story, and I wouldn’t hear a sermon as an opportunity to evaluate his preaching (even writing that feels so disrespectful to our dear Pastor Epp). I listened to the sermon for the voice of the Holy Spirit being delivered from a trusted Christian brother, a father figure, a loving and humble Christian man. To this day, I am encouraged by my pastor who is long retired but still in my corner praying, encouraging (mostly via Facebook), and leading.

When the children of God come together for a family gathering, we are intently watching and listening for whatever the Spirit of God is doing, saying, and asking of us, and we are responding.

Entertainment? Nah. Engagement? Absolutely. The towns and citites surrounding the family of God in all of our gatherings around the world can not be left unchanged, because the children of God are led by the Spirit of God (Romans 8:14), and the Holly Spirit is all about reconciling people to God through Jesus Christ; lives will be changed to the glory of God!

Let’s not confuse the gatherings of performers and their fans with the gatherings of the Family of God. Concerts are all about being entertained. We are all about engaging in the work of God in this world as His ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5).

In the words of Melody Green and from a song made famous by her late husband, Keith Green:

There is a Redeemer, Jesus God's own Son
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah, Holy One

Thank You O my Father
For giving us Your Son
And leaving Your Spirit
Till the work on earth is done

Comments