
For nearly all of my adult life, I have loved and looked up to Brian Doerksen. He is a world-renowned songwriter, musician, and worship leader who lived among us here in Abbotsford — serving the church, intentionally teaching and leading through song, and modelling a God-honouring marriage and family life for all of us to see and follow.
It was 1999 and Brian’s nephew, Matthew Peters, attended the weekly worship events that I led called DOXA. Matthew and I would often talk at the end of the night. One evening, Matthew handed to me a songbook entitled, “Hungry”, with a UK phone number hand-written in the back cover. He wanted me to call his uncle who had contributed to this album. When I asked Matthew who his uncle was, I laughingly responded that THE Brian Doerksen would have no idea who I was and that I wouldn’t be calling. When Matthew was tragically killed in a car accident a few months later, Brian reached out and we sang together for the first time at Matthew’s funeral — it was such an honour to be there for such an amazing young man, Matthew. I would years later have the privilege of knowing Matthew’s nephew, Nathan, during his time at MEI, the school that both Brian (‘83) and I (‘91) are alumni and where I now have the privilege of serving as the Head of Schools.This incredibly special connection through Matthew led to Brian inviting me to contribute two songs for the Love Abbotsford Live recordings, giving me the once-in-a-lifetime honour of directing the choirs on his internationally-released Today album, leading worship together at various events, Brian visiting us in the studio when recording one of our albums, a live stream interview during the pandemic season, Brian sending a note of encouragement before a Doxa Reunion event a few years back, and such special times for me and Sarah being hosted by Joyce at their home as a young married couple.
He chose to invest in, encourage, and support so many younger musicians, songwriters, and leaders and I really couldn’t believe, and still can’t believe, that I got to be one of them. These are among my most cherished and influential songs written by Brian: “Faithful One”, “Refiner’s Fire”, “More”, “Creation Calls”, “Light the Fire Again”, “Come and Fill Me Up”, “I Lift My Eyes Up”, and later, “Come, Now Is The Time”, “Hallelujah (Your Love is Amazing)”, “Hope of the Nations”, “Everlasting”, and “You Shine”.
I am so thankful and praise God for a man who has modelled true worship of Jesus through song, ministry, and life for me and for SO many more.
I am praying this song for Brian’s family and friends now, a timeless song that points to the source of our hope:
Faithful One, so unchanging
Ageless One, You’re my rock of peace
Lord of all, I depend on You
I call out to You again and again
I call out to You again and again
You are my rock in times of trouble
You lift me up when I fall down
All through the storm
Your love is the anchor
My hope is in You alone
~ Brian Doerksen (1989)
I call out to You again and again
You are my rock in times of trouble
You lift me up when I fall down
All through the storm
Your love is the anchor
My hope is in You alone
~ Brian Doerksen (1989)
Comments
Post a Comment