Skip to main content

So we’ve legalized pot... but I don’t even drink alcohol

Hello Everyone,

On the eve of the legalization of pot in our country, I want to share a blog that I wrote in 2007.  The Canadian landscape is about to change in a significant way as it will now affirm pot, marijuana, cannabis as a viable option for any of us who wish to partake in this drug.  I guess my feelings on pot won’t need to be stated if you have a look at some of my continued thoughts on alcohol consumption... for me.

I have no issues (zero, none, zilch) being around others who drink responsibly. This is really about me and my choice to abstain.  But consider the statement made here in light of the new pot-friendly message that will be sent to our next generation. Essentially, this post is saying that the fact that something is legal doesn’t mean that it is the best option for me.

Well, have a read and may God bless you!

Vijay


“7 Reasons Why I Don’t Drink Alcohol”
By Vijay Manuel, 2007

When people hear that I haven't even tasted beer, they usually can't believe it.  The other thing I've never done is thrown up. Really, I haven't.  Again, same result from people.

I grew up playing basketball and volleyball competitively through high school and went on to coach for 5 years.  During all those years, alcohol was never a part of the equation. Crazy, right?! Of course, people have tried to get me to drink, but this has only made my resolve stronger to stay away from it. I do remember tasting alcohol as a child, teenager and as an adult.  In all of these taste tests, I found it to be disgusting.

Before I explain my reasons for staying away from alcohol, I want to say that in my view and understanding, drinking alcohol isn't a ‘sin’ or morally or inherently wrong. According to Stats Canada, 78% of Canadians consume alcohol, so clearly I'm in the minority on this one. I've made my choice for a number of reasons highlighted below.

So why don't I drink alcohol?

1. My parents don't touch it
Alcohol was never a part of our social experiences. Guests were treated to amazing meals prepared by my mother and life-enriching conversations led by my father, but the conversation was never about alcohol, nor the experience. I learned from my dad that alcohol wasn't needed to relax, unwind, laugh and have fun.

2. The Bible cautions against it
If you go through all the references in the Bible to do with alcohol there are plenty of warnings and cautions about being led astray by alcohol. For me, they are enough to stay away from alcohol. I am careful with what I eat as well; another Biblical caution. See references here

3. Everyone says I should drink and they're paying a lot of money to convince me... Why?!
In 1997, the alcohol industry spent $1 Billion on advertising. Any guesses how much is being spent in 2007? Why the huge marketing? Have you noticed how sex is used to sell alcohol? Is it because it is good or helpful for society? Nope. It's all about making money. Of course there is nothing wrong with making money, in fact it's great! The issue I have is that alcohol marketing is selling much more than a drink. It has convinced people that alcohol and 'the good life' or 'having fun' are connected. You can't seem to have one without the other. I disagree.

4. The potential cost seriously out-weighs the possible beneifits
In a 2004 national survey, 1 in 3 Canadians reported experiencing harm due to someone else's drinking and half of all substance abuse treatment involved alcohol (Canadian Public Health Association, 2006).  No one thinks that they will turn into an alcoholic, hurt family members or participate in unhealthy activities when they take their first drink. There are also multiple health risks including liver damage and depression. What about the potential cost for my wife & children? For me, I'd rather not risk any of that.

5. I don't need alcohol to relax, have fun or enjoy life
Here's what I've learned from various advertising sources: I should go home and relax with a glass of wine after work. I also should have plenty of alcohol in the cooler if I host a BBQ for friends. If I watch hockey, I need beer to make the experience the best it can be. Ordering pizza? Need beer. Upset about something? Alcohol. Party with friends? Alcohol. Celebrating something? Yup, alcohol. Friday night? Alcohol. Football game?... lots of alcohol and spill peanuts on dad with family in front of me; then apologize with multiple f-bombs thrown in. Here's what I've found: I don't need any of it and life is surprisingly fulfilling against all odds, it seems.

6. Two particular experiences
I took a group of youth to Vancouver when I was a youth sponsor in my early 20s. One question on our scavenger hunt was to ask a police officer for one piece of advice. I've never forgotten his words. He said: "Stay away from alcohol. 99% of the problems we deal with are alcohol related." I understood that he wasn't saying that everyone who drinks is going to have problems with it. But for me, it was about the risks far out-weighing the benefits. Remember that for me, I hadn't experienced the benefits yet.

A second particularly traumatic experience took place when I was in grade 5.  Our church's youth group was playing baseball at a local elementary school.  My father had a long-time missionary friend visiting from Portland the same weekend. They walked down to the field to watch the game and were talking with another man from our church who was there to watch his kids. I walked down with my dog, Sheba, to watch my older brother. A drunk driver drove off the road and into the field. Of the three men standing and talking by the road, my dad was the only one who survived. At least three youth were struck causing permanent damage to their spines, legs... Two images that are locked in my memory: 1) My dad, in complete shock, standing over what looked like a pile of something covered in Uncle Don's jacket saying: "This is him!?" 2) The drunk driver trying to back his car up, with two students stuck underneath shouting: "I can't believe this!"  I'm sure that when he took his first drink he hadn't imagined this scenario. If I had time-travelled back and warned him, he would have laughed and brushed it off.

7. Modeling
As a youth sponsor in my early 20s, I grew to love the young people in my care and it was always so frustrating that there were so many messages coming their way that sold alcohol as the way to happiness and fulfillment: sports, TV, movies, advertising. The attitude from adults in the lives of many young people is Of course you're going to drink despite the legal drinking age in Canada being 18 or 19, depending on which province or territory you live in. I was and am determined to be at least one example of someone who doesn't drink or doesn't need to drink, because I don't.

So there it is. Anyone up for a coffee?

Comments

Post a Comment