Skip to main content

Camp Tulahead Speaker Notes & Thoughts

 


Threat

The biggest threat to the Christian Faith is pretenders: people claiming Jesus as their Saviour but not truly believing nor behaving in a way that is honouring to God as prescribed by God’s Word. It is critical that followers of Jesus are anchored in their faith and not easily tossed about by the culture around them or teachings that are not Biblically sound. 

I grew up in a world where people debated whether a tomato was a fruit or vegetable. It seems that our children are growing up in a world where the debate is whether the tomato is actually a pear. Soon, it seems, the debate will be shut down and they will be forced to acknowledge the tomato as being a pear. Again, it is critical that the Christian Faith and that Christian Families are led by and filled with individuals anchored in the Truth of God’s Word. Here are a few foundations of my faith: The Person of Jesus, His Message, and His Call.

Foundations of my Christian Faith (Mark 1)

Jesus

Jesus is the Messiah, the anointed One. He is the Son of God. He is the One that was prophesied about hundreds of years earlier. He is worthy. Consider the endorsement He received from a man who had built a massive movement around Jerusalem. Here is a description of the following that John the Baptist was amassing: “The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River” (Mark 1:5).

If this were happening today, the leader would have likely built a brand with accompanying strategic plan that included a marketing machine to sell merchandise, programs, books, music, and a speaking tour; he would have built a business empire.

Not John. His strategic plan was focussed on preparing the way for Jesus: “After me comes the One more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit” (vv. 7 - 8).

Jesus has the power to baptize with the Holy Spirit. 

Jesus is a healer: “… and Jesus healed many who had various diseases…” (v. 34).

Jesus is favoured by our Heavenly Father: “You are my son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased” (v. 11).

Jesus defeated temptation when Satan tempted Him in the desert.

Jesus has authority over evil spirits: “…[a man] possessed by an impure spirit cried out, “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are - the Holy One of God!” “Be quiet!” said Jesus sternly. “Come out of him!” The impure spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek. The people were all so amazed…” (vv. 23 - 27).

Jesus is amazing in everything He is and does.

Consider that this same all-powerful Jesus is our Good Shepherd. He loves you and me to the point of giving His life for us. No one can steal us from His tender care: “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” (John 10:27-30)

Jesus’ Message

Repent.
Believe.

There is a cost to living with unconfessed sin. According to Psalm 32:

“When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin.” (Psalms‬ ‭32‬:‭3‬-‭5‬)

The message that we must receive and then share is that repentance is the key to being freed from the guilt of sin. This is not a popular message in the world today. Instead, we are encouraged to do whatever we want and expect, at the same time, to be free. Sin, however is a bondage in our lives. We are not free. Instead, we are bound, pressured, and suffering under the weight of our sin and the accompanying guilt. The key is to repent:

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John‬ ‭1‬:‭9‬)

Believing isn’t proving.
Believing isn’t knowing everything.
Believing isn’t being super smart.

Believing by faith is something completely different:

“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” (Hebrews‬ ‭11‬:‭1‬)

Faith is being sure and certain of something that we do not see. Faith is putting all of our eggs in one basket and trusting.

Isn’t the evolutionist putting their faith in that particular theory? Can anyone really prove through the scientific method that life began in a swamp with a single self-replicating molecule and over millions, or is it billions, or maybe trillions of years??!! we have somehow (not miraculously??!!) ended up with the beautiful planet we live on now with the stunning array of life in its various forms? Where did that initial tidbit of life come from anyway? Have a look at Ben Stein’s conversation with Richard Dawkins, the renowned British evolutionary biologist and author.

Ben Stein vs. Richard Dawkins Interview (6:07)

One question: Does not this belief system, quite possibly religion, require faith?

I have put my faith in Jesus Christ and have benefited in every area of my existence from Who He is and What He has done for me. We who follow Jesus believe with an unshakable faith! We are cautioned about those that say they believe but operate with doubt:

“…you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.” (James 1:2-8)

Is it okay to have questions? Of course. At some point, however, we must decide between putting our faith in the things of the world fuelled by our sinful nature, or putting our complete trust in the the things of God fuelled by and led by the Holy Spirit and all made possible through Christ Jesus.

Jesus’ Call

Come follow me.
Be sent out to fish for people.

If an evangelist came into town today, who would he go to first in order to put on a city-wide event? Most likely, he would go to the pastors of the biggest churches. If he secures their support and marketing, there would likely be some negotiations on which church’s worship teams would lead the singing and which pastors would welcome and host the event. Everyone would need some stage time in order for the support and the coveted marketing to take place. One would need the support of all the leaders of the biggest Christian organizations in order to draw the biggest crowds.

To whom did Jesus go? Well, He didn’t go to the spiritual leaders of the day. They were certainly the ones who knew the most, had the greatest influence among the people, and had power and control in their community. Instead, Jesus went to the humble, everyday individuals; the people who would be willing to learn, grow, and serve:

“As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him. When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.” (Mark 1:16-20)

Come follow me, Jesus said. He chose them to follow Him just as we are chosen to follow Him. It’s not that we chose Him, but He chose us and appointed us to go and bear fruit that will last (John 15:16). Remember the prophet Jeremiah? The Word of the Lord came to him saying that he was known by God and set apart even before God formed him in his mother’s womb. Wow. If you’ve ever wondered how God feels about the unborn child, this should provide some clear insight. The same God who appointed Jeremiah to be a prophet to the nations knew YOU and set you apart before He formed you in your mother’s womb. He has chosen you with a clear purpose in mind, all for His glory! Awesome.

The second part of the call is to go. GO! Go and visit cool places on this planet? Nah. One can certainly do that, but our call is to GO and make disciples of Jesus, teaching them to obey Him. Our call is not to accumulate wealth, fame, and influence. Again, one can certainly do that and for followers of Christ, all of our needs are provided by the Good Shepherd (Psalm 23). In reality, we are guests here; passing through; in the world but not OF the world. 

Jesus cautioned us further:

“Everyone will hate you because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.” (Mark 13:13)

When one hears Jesus’ call, the response is immediate: drop everything and follow Him! If the response isn’t immediate, arguably one hasn’t heard the call. Just as Simon, Andrew, James, and John dropped everything, left loved ones behind, and followed Jesus two thousand years ago, Jesus’ sheep know His voice and follow. It’s that simple. There is work for you to do!

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, I led a worship ministry in Abbotsford that drew hundreds every Sunday night from all around the Fraser Valley and beyond (1500+ people). Doxa! I remember one person saying to me that it was amazing that God used our team of volunteers, but if it hadn’t been us, He would have used someone else. At the time I didn’t think much of it. Later, I considered if that was a true or accurate way of looking at the call of God on our lives: “Well, if I don’t do what God is asking of me, He’ll just ask someone else.”

Consider the following:

Jonah
- The Word of the Lord came to Jonah to preach against the city of Nineveh
- Jonah ran from the call
- God pursued Him until He obeyed

Joseph
- Joseph had dreams that hinted at what he would be doing for God and God’s people
- He was sold into slavery and imprisoned as an innocent man
- When he was finally brought in front of Pharaoh to interpret his troublesome dreams, Joseph’s answer further confirms the man of God and absolute man of integrity that he had become:

“Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I had a dream, and no one can interpret it. But I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it.” “I cannot do it,” Joseph replied to Pharaoh, “but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires.”” (Genesis‬ ‭41‬:‭15‬-‭16‬)

Esther
- Esther found herself in the citadel of King Xerxes of Persia
- She found favour with the king and became the queen
- God used her to save His people from being wiped out when she approached the king with great courage:

“Then Queen Esther answered, “If I have found favor with you, Your Majesty, and if it pleases you, grant me my life—this is my petition. And spare my people—this is my request.” (Esther‬ ‭7‬:‭3‬)

Just as God called, prepared through ups and downs in life, and presented Jonah, Joseph, and Esther for His purposes, He is calling YOU. There is something unique to you that God has prepared for you to do for His glory and for His kingdom.

My Story

I prayed with my dear mother when I was 4 years old to ask Jesus to come into my heart. This decision was renewed and reinforced during ‘Spiritual Emphasis Week’ at MEI in grade 9 when I put my hand up and declared again that I would follow Jesus. After high school, I faced a new challenge when my Christian friends were starting to get involved in some activities that I didn’t feel good about. I was struggling with finding my identity in the post-secondary world as a university student and worried about my future. My dear dad prayed with me often and encouraged me to claim the promise of God as found in Matthew 6:33. I prayed that prayer: “Lord, I will pursue you, your kingdom, and your righteousness with all that I am, and I am trusting you to take care of the rest; I am trusting that all the things that I could worry about will be added to me as I follow you.”

I testify today as a newly minted 50-year-old that God is faithful. If you will repent and believe, put your trust in God, give control of your life to Jesus, are filled with the Holy Spirit, and walk in step with Him, He will truly take care of the rest.

My focus today is to continue to be rooted in Christ Jesus, my Lord and Saviour. I want to stand tall, built up in Christ and strengthened in Him. May my life be overflowing with thankfulness because I truly have so much to be thankful for (Colossians 2:6-7). What are those things?

1. Jesus is my Good Shepherd
2. His message is simple: Repent and Believe
3. I have been called to follow Him and to lead others to Him as well

And as Jesus promised, He is with me.

Hallelujah.

Will you also follow Jesus? Give your heart and your whole life to Him today, dear friend, and experience true peace in knowing your purpose and understanding that your true home is in Heaven with God.

Much love,

Vijay

Comments