Skip to main content

What mission are you on?



I believe that there are two missions that each of us could possibly be on today. That mission will dictate the totality of our lives: who we are, what we do with our time and resources, where we spend our leisure time, and how we speak and what we speak about.

Mission 1
- Acquire Wealth
- Attain Position

Mission 2
- Complete Submission to God
- Know God and Make Him Known

Mission 1 has been modelled for us time and time again. It has been pushed on us since we were old enough to watch TV or in today’s world, hold a device. This mission encourages us to accumulate wealth, buy things… lots of things, beautify ourselves, and invest heavily in leisure activities and the tools to support that leisure. The amount one accumulates, we are told, will actually determine how important they are in the world (see Forbes Billionaires Lists). PS - We are taught to admire the people on this list, envy them, wonder what it would be like to be them, and then settle into our own seemingly less-than existence.

An additional and critically important component to this mission is to make oneself known. We must acquire position in this world resulting in the right circles of people respecting and inviting us into their lives. This part of the mission culminates in popularity and influence. This is when difficult work must be done to continue to grow this position, or at the very least, remain relevant.

The accompanying promise of a fulfilled life; one that is filled with happiness, reward, and satisfaction, has been repeatedly proven to be a false promise!

In stark contrast, consider the mission Jesus came to fulfill on earth as recorded in the book of Mark in the Holy Bible. Jesus came to earth for the clear purpose of preaching the Good News: “Let us go somewhere else — to the nearby villages — so I can preach there also. That is why I have come” (Mark 1:38). The message was simple: “The time has come… the kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the Good News!” (V. 15)

He didn’t just preach the Good News and perform miracles, He came to build a disciple-making system by first discipling a few: “Come follow me… and I will send you out to fish for people” (v. 17). As a result of these first disciples, thousands began meeting in home churches as the message of The Way, Jesus’ Way, spread like wildfire! In comparison to Mission 1 described above, Jesus didn’t come for those who had it all together, but for those in need (Mark 2:17) - He came to serve and help.

Mission 2 begins with complete submission to the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords; laying down one’s life in total humility to God. This type of submission declares some of the following things:
- I don’t have what it takes and I’m not enough on my own
- I don’t have all the answers
- The world and the things in it are not satisfying or fulfilling
- I’ve done things that I’m ashamed of and need forgiveness
- I need help and believe that Jesus is the only One who can provide it completely

Next, knowing God and understanding His character comes through faithful Bible study and prayer, by following the leading of the Holy Spirit, and connecting with other Believers regularly. While all of this fantastic growth is taking place, a passion begins to rise within the disciple of Christ to make Jesus known to others. Instead of life being about self, life becomes about Him. One chooses to live in a way that is pleasing to God, to love others sincerely and from the heart, and to proclaim the Truth as it is laid out in the Bible consistently and without compromise.

What about measurable objectives?

Consider how Jesus describes those who He knows; the ones who are on the mission with Him:

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’” (Matthew‬ ‭25‬:‭35‬-‭36)

We can assess ourselves on these and other similar measurables. They are all about caring for those in need, and according to Jesus, caring for those in need is essentially the same thing as caring for Jesus himself:

- Fed the hungry and thirsty?
- Welcomed a stranger?
- Clothed someone in need?
- Looked after the sick?
- Visited the prisoner?

For me, my mission comes more and more into focus as I learn and grow in my faith, and the result is an increase in peace. Knowing and understanding my mission determines WHO I spend my time with, WHAT I do with my time and passions, WHERE one would find me, and HOW I speak and what I speak about. Again, all this leads to deep inner confidence and peace.

One question that I have for you, friend, is… WHEN?

When will you find your peace in knowing and accepting your mission on earth?
- You were CREATED in God’s image
- You were given a MISSION and purpose by the Creator
- You are INVALUABLE to God just as you are
- You are BEAUTIFUL and INTENTIONAL
- God will use you to IMPACT your world for His glory
- Your life will result in FRUIT that will last!

Your response today can be this simple:

BELIEVE with great faith
- Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we cannot see (Hebrews 11:1)

CONNECT
- Plug into a community of Believers and worship, serve, learn, grow, give

LIVE IT DAILY
- By the power of the Holy Spirit, live a life that is pleasing to God; a life that is RIGHT in His eyes; a righteous life

For me, I was born again and baptized by the Holy Spirit. This was a chemical-reaction-type event in which the old was gone and something new appeared. My sins were forgiven and I was cleansed of all unrighteousness by the Faithful One (1 John 1:9).

You can be born again and join the mission today with new thoughts, attitudes, and resulting actions; you can be transformed!

Are you on the mission? Join me!

Comments